Sunday, May 21, 2006


When ,on my way back to Burdwan after the 2nd semester was over, I tried to board the overly crowded train I was hardly aware that the ride would not be that boring as it usually happens to be with all the people and heat and sweat.It was difficult to enter the compatment itself let alone finding a place to sit for the one and half hour long journey ahead.However,a nonbengali man(most of the passengers are nonbengali,who earn their livelihood in kolkata and now returning to their homes ) to his great kindness let me sit in one corner of his seat.I to my great relief took my place,careful not to occupy much of the seat so as to anger the doner,and waited for the train to leave as more and more people elbowed and pushed their way into the coach,dragging huge luggages with them,crowded the aisle,dancing their butts infront of faces of people who were early enough to get a place to rest their bums.It was because this crowds that I did not noticed her sitting on the seat opposite me across the aisle.After the train had left the platform and many of the passengers had coaxed their way to some sort of sitting place I saw her clearly.She sat next to a middleaged woman who had a baby girl on her lap and who apparently was her mother.She was travelling with a number of other family members or relatives who occupied the other seats.I also noticed that she was a muslim and also very young and had a very fair compelexion.I noticed all these things not because I was studying her minutely.She was no different from other passengers, and since I thought she was way too young I didnot have any immediate dirty thoughts.

(to be continued)

No comments: