Tuesday, January 03, 2006

getting started

Now that I have finally started my blog it doesn't seem irrelevant to make the beginning with some words spent on myself.As I type the words my mind goes back to days when none would have thought I would be one day where I am today.Those were the days of my early childhood,when in a remote village somewhere in India ,I used to run across green fields ,splash in slushy pond or chase my playmates through the village street barefoot.I was no different from other children.Their ancestors and their fathers were farmers and they too would grow up to be farmers.My father too and still is a farmer.My jethu (a bengali word meaning father's elder brother) was a doctor practising in a town near Calcutta,which is a six hour train journey from my village(jethu had fought a lot against poverty to continue his studies ,but that is another story).My parents ,as concerned as they were about their son's future ,always liked to secretly hope that one day my uncle,now that he was prosporous, would offer to take over my responsiblities.They never expressed themselves neither did my uncle ever dropped any hint, actually he seemed to be surprisingly nonchalant about this issue , limiting his duties in presenting me with some cheap english wordbooks on his ocassional visit to the village.As I grew up quickly without anything changing on this front my parents ,poor village folk,began to loose their remaining hope.I used to be known as a brilliant student and this pained them ,because they were sure ,with the little resources that they had they would be unable to nurture me and my talents.Their greatest fear was that I too would grow up to be a farmer ,toiling in the fields where my father now do.At the same time I,myself, was blissfully unaware about the worries gnawing at my parents.But when God decides to step in surprises take place.It was I who ,no matter how unkowingly,changed the scenario.
It was the pick of one rainy season ,a time when the whole India goes under the waterfall,and it was when the marriage of my pisi
(father's sister)took place.Uncle,who bore the cost, was also present .With him had come,especially for the marriage,and for the first time,and as time would tell later also the last time,the nurse who worked in his clinic and her daughter Maya,a few year older than me.Maya and I hit off it toghether very well.She was a lone child of her divorced mother and she perhaps found the solutions to her longingness for a brother whom her mother could not give her.I also became a quite favourite with her mother , Puspa,who ,much like her daughter tried to satiate her unfulfilled desire for a son.
After the festivities of the marriage was over ,all the relatives who had oblidged to come from far and near started to leave for their home,and it was time Uncle too,alongwith Maya and her mother ,leave. None had expected the way I cried when they were about to leave.I wanted to accompany them.I cried hysterically.In no way would I let them leave the house without taking me with them.I surprised everyone and everyone was embrassed not knowing what to do.However Maya was joyous,and her mother too started to request uncle to let me accompany them.
I did not know what thoughts crossed his mind as he ,fully dressed for the journey ahead ,watched me roll on the earth and strain my vocal cords hoarse :he did finally give his consent.And that was the turning point of my life.That I have achieved and that I will achieve in the future are all because of that moment when nothing unusual happened except that I cried.And I cried as though there were no tomorrow and in retrospect threre was truly no tomorrow.






No comments: