Monday, January 23, 2006

an excerpt...


Here is the first few lines I wrote for my new work(I must mention again that it is still in the experimental stage).
"Alazy mist lay over the fields ,now shorn of their crops ,and the houses with thick mud walls and old thatched roofs that sloped on four sides,and the trees who were still dozing.The birds were silent;perhaps because of the mist.The air was cold and still. The patches of grass on either side of the street looked fresh and soft,being wet.Yesterday when they had reached the village,bordering the fringes of the Sunderbans, it was dark by that time.Sanjay had been insisting him to visit his village for a long time.
The dust on the street was thick and heavy and got stuck to the sole of the sandals in flaking chunks.
-'How do you like our village?'Sanjay asked while they walked along side by side brushing their teeth.
-'It is entirely different from our village,but I like it.I love the way the village is sprawled around.Some houses in a closed cluster while some are alone in the middle of the fields.In our village we have the houses and the fields clearly demarcated,far and apart but here all are mingled into one.'
-'Wait till I have shown you around.'
-'I can't wait ... but remember one thing!'
Sanjay looked at his friend and guest,amused.
-'I have kept my promise , now it is your turn'.
-'Oh I know.I am looking forward to the visit to your village'.
They reached the village square which was a meeting place of three streets and was populated by some commercial establishments yet to open for the day's business except for a tea stall,already thronged by the villagers for their morning cup of tea.In oneof thosemud-walled houses there must be a video parlour.A large hording displaying the posters of an outdated bengali film proclaimed the fact.Ther was a tubewell close to the teastall.They washed themselves at the tubewell and proceeded toward the stall where Sanjay was greeted warmly .'


Please comment.I am waiting for your helpful comments with an eager heart.

No comments: